Throughout each calendar year, the Defense Acquisition University Alumni Association sponsors/conducts – on behalf of DAU – numerous learning events to enhance the knowledge of the acquisition community. In April of each year, we support the DAU Acquisition Training Symposium, which is hosted by DAU. Also, throughout the year, we sponsor several “DAU Hot Topic Training Forums” – hosted by DAU – on the latest initiatives in the acquisition field. We will post the notes/slides from the symposium and forums whenever possible. The video channels for the Acquisition Training Symposium, Hot Topic Training Forums, and Lunch & Learns can be found on the DAU Media Site.
Weekly Lunch & Learn Events
DAU schedules Lunch & Learn events most Wednesday afternoons from 12:30 -14:00. Topics for future events can be found on the DAU website at https://www.dau.mil/Events. Clicking on any L&L event on the calendar will provide details to register and log in a specific webinar.
Upcoming Hot Topic Training Forums
Hot topic forums are held approximately every two months. These forums bring top-rated speakers and acquisition leaders to the DAU campus to discuss topics of interest to acquisition professionals. Attendees are generally from the federal government and the defense industry. Check back on this website for the latest info on upcoming forums as the next ones(s) are added.
- Hot Topic Training Forum (POSTPONED- Check Back for New Date) – Wednesday, March 18, 2020 from 1000-1130 – Lessons from the Trench – Delivering a Large Scale Agile Software Program – Mr. Terry Carpenter is the Program Executive Officer (PEO) for the National Background Investigation Service (NBIS). As the PEO for NBIS, he is responsible for leading the effort to design, build, test, field, operate, maintain, and secure the federal-wide information technology (IT) service used to conduct suitability, security, and credentialing investigations for all federal civilians, military members, and government contractors. He was appointed to the Senior Executive Service in 2017. In the past, he has provided the acquisition oversight of multiple portfolios of joint programs that deliver integrated enterprise services and data systems for DISA business operations, global cloud computing services, and warfighting command and control services. Click Here for More Info
Past Forums, Conference and Symposia
- Hot Topic Training Forum -Wednesday, January 22, 2020 from 1000-1130 – Managing Technology in an Interesting Unmanageable World – Dr. Daniel Gerstein is a national security professional and technology expert currently employed by the Rand Corporation, who has served the United States not only in senior government positions but also in uniform, in industry, in academia, and in think tanks. As a senior government civilian official, he was acting undersecretary and deputy undersecretary in the Department of Homeland Security’s Science and Technology Directorate. His most recent book is The Story of Technology: How We Got Here and What the Future Holds (Oct 2019) Click Here for Presentation Click Here to view video
- Hot Topic Training Forum – Wednesday, October 30, 2019 from 1230-1400 – The FY2020 Defense Budget and Related Acquisition Issues – Two-person panel moderated by Mr. Brendan McGarry, U.S. Defense Budget analyst at the Congressional Research Service (CRS); panel includes Ms. Heidi Peters, a CRS analyst in Defense Acquisition Policy.
*For Govt and Industry Defense Acquisition Professionals
- Hot Topic Training Forum – Wednesday, September 18, 2019 from 1000-1130 – What The Market Is Saying About Defense – And What It Might Be Missing – Guest Speaker, Mr. Byron Callan, Capital Alpha Partners, LLC. Mr. Callan is a Wall Street analyst covering the defense industry. The presentation is sponsored by the DAU Industry Chair, Mr. Thomas Davis.
- Hot Topic Training Forum – Wednesday, July 24, 2019 – Navigating Data Rights, Intellectual Property and Contracting Issues in Cloud Computing Contracts – Some Common Best Practices – Panel moderated by Professor Vicki Allums, DAU Learning Director, Intellectual Property. Panelists include Ms. Carrie Ross, Chief Mobility Section at DISA’s Defense Information Technology Contracting Organization (DITCO); Mr. Scott Stewart, Technical Director, Procurement Services at DISA; and Ms. Vera Strebel, Deputy Legal Counsel for DISA/DITCO. Video to be Posted Soon.
Click Here to view presentations
- 2019DAU Acquisition Training Symposium – Wednesday, April 3, 2019 – Presentations are being posted as made available – Click Here to view the presentations and videos.
- Hot Topic Training Forum – Thursday, March 7, 2019 – Using DevSecOps and Cloud to create DoD Software Factories – Speaker: Mr. Nicolas Chaillan, Special Advisor for Cloud and DevSecOps for USD(A&S), will present his vision for how to transform DoD software acquisition into secure, responsive software factories – Click Here to view the video and Click Here to view the slides
- Hot Topic Training Forum – Wednesday, February 27, 2019 – The State of the U.S. Defense Industry – Candid remarks by an Industry Leader – Speaker: Mr. Robert J. Stevens, former Chairman, President & CEO of Lockheed Martin Corporation. He currently sits on an advisory board to the Director of National Intelligence (DNI).
- Hot Topic Training Forum – Wednesday, November 14, 2018 – Perspectives on Congress, the Defense Budget, and Acquisition Reform– Speaker: Panel moderated by Mr. Brendan McGarry, US Defense Budget analyst at the Congressional Research Service, (CRS); panelists included Mr. Moshe Schwartz, a specialist in Defense Acquisition, CRS; and Dr. Pat Towell, a specialist in Defense Policy, CRS.
- Capital Chapter Lunch Event – Wednesday, October 12, 2018 – Findings and Expertise on the State of Cybersecurity in the Public Sector – Speakers: Mr. Joseph Kirschbaum, GAO, and Chris Cumminskey, CEO of Cumminskey Strategic Solutions – Click Here to view the slides and Click Here to view an overview of the proceedings.
- Hot Topic Training Forum – Wednesday, September 19, 2018 – An Industry Leader’s Perspectives on Services Acquisition Best Practices – Speaker: Mr. Dan Keefe, former president and COO of ManTech International – Video available to DAU staff and faculty for training purposes only on “Office of the President” Video Channel of Media.dau – Click Here to view the slides.
- DAUAA West Hot Topic Training Forum – Thursday, August 16, 2018 – Cyber and Covered Defense Information– The DAU Cyber Enterprise Team facilitated a continuing discussion of current SPAWAR and PEO C4I Cybersecurity issues and initiatives – Click Here to view the slides.
- Hot Topic Training Forum – Wednesday, July 18, 2018 – National Security Challenges and the Technologies to Address Them – Speaker: The Honorable Robert Work, former Deputy Secretary of Defense – Click Here to view the slides.
- Hot Topic Training Forum – Wednesday, May 16, 2018 – Agile Enterprise Architecture & Application Rationalization Speaker: Mr. Kevin A. Wince – Click Here to view sllides from this forum.
- 2018 DAU Acquisition Training Symposium – Tuesday, April 3, 2018 – Click Here to view the presentations and videos.
- Hot Topic Training Forum – Wednesday, February 14, 2018 – An Industry Leader’s Perspectives on the Current Defense Acquisition Process – Mr. Jerry DeMuro, President and CEO of BAE Systems, Inc., spoke to a full auditorium of acquisition professionals during a Hot Topic Forum at the Defense Acquisition University’s Fort Belvoir campus. During his 90-minute presentation, which comprised both a lecture and a question and answer portion, he provided the industry perspective on the state of defense acquisition and defense contracting, specifically discussing commercial and defense markets; intellectual property ownership; investment expectations; contracting methods; risk tolerance; profit motivations; regularity environments; and other topics. Additionally, Mr. DeMuro provided robust data to show trends in defense acquisition, providing significant food for thought for audience members to take away.
- Hot Topic Training Forum – Wednesday, September 20, 2017- The Business Capability Acquisition Cycle (BCAC); An introduction to DoDI 5000.75 – Click Here to see the video and Click Here to view the slides from this forum.
- Hot Topic Training Forum – Wednesday, July 19, 2017- Increasing Innovation and Competition FAR Part 12 (Acquisition of Commercial Items) to Increase Innovation, Increase Competition and Lower Cost – Click Here to see the video and Click Here as well as Here to view the slides from this forum.
- Sharon Weinberger – June 5, 2017 – Talked about her new book on the history of DARPA, titled “Imagineers of War.” – Click Here to see the video and Click Here for a Summary.
- Hot Topic Training Forum – May 17, 2017 – Hot Topic Information – Contracting Innovation with Commercial Solutions Openings – Click Here to see the video and Click Here to view the slides from this forum.
- 2017 DAU Acquisition Training Symposium – April 4, 2017 – Click Here to view the presentations and videos.
- Hot Topic Training Forum – March 22, 2017- Agile Organization Culture Panel – Click Here to view the video – There are 4 slides from this presentation. 1. DAU Hot Topic Agile Culture Panel. 2. Main Slides. 3. EffectiveAgileCustomer 4. Evaluating Culture.
- Hot Topic Training Forum – February 15, 2017- Dealing with Obsolescence – Click Here to see the video and Click Here to download the slides from this forum.
- Hot Topic Training Forum – November 16, 2016 – State of the Congressional Budget for Presentation – Click Here to view the slides from this forum.
- Hot Topic Training Forum – September 21, 2016 – Software Challenges and Keys to Success – Click Here to see the video and Click Here to view the slides from this forum.
- Hot Topic Training Forum– July 21, 2016 – Better Buying Power: DCMA Does It Too! – Click Here to see the video from this forum.
- Hot Topic Training Forum– June 1, 2016- “Risk and Opportunity Management” – Click Here to view the slides from this forum.
- DAU Acquisition Training Symposium- April 27 – “Strengthening Cost Consciousness, Professionalism, and Technical Excellence” – Click Here to see the available videos and to view the slides from the presentations.
- Hot Topic Training Forum– March 18, 2016- “DoDI 5000.74 Services Acquisition, What’s New?”: – Click Here to see the video and Click Here to view the slides from this forum.
- Hot Topic Training Forum– Feb 17, 2016 – “Navigating Unclassified Information System Security Protections – Recent DFARS updates covering Network Penetration Reporting and Contracting”– Click Here to see the video and Click Here to view the slides from this forum.
- “DAU’s Response to Acquisition Cybersecurity Needs – January 21, 2016 ” – Click Here to view the slides from this forum.
- Hot Topic Training Forum– Nov 17, 2015- “Additive Management” – Slides and video not available.
- Hot Topic Training Forum– Sept 8, 2015 – “Dealing with the Generations in the Workplace” – Click Here to view the slides from this forum.
- Hot Topic – November 7, 2014. During this information exchange, Mr.Shay Assad, Director of Defense Pricing, senior DoD pricing personnel, and industry representatives engaged in an information exchange to better understand the concerns of parties when negotiating the acquisition of goods and services for the Department of Defense – Link for the presentations and videos can be found here.
- Hot Topic – August 21, 2014 “DoD Program Manager Training & Experience: Challenges, Opportunities, Current Initiatives” Link for presentations can be found here.
- Hot Topic – June 25, 2014 “Strategic Sourcing- What it is and its Impact on Contracting for Services“. Link for presentation can be found here.
- Hot Topic – May 7, 2014 “History of Acquisition in DoD – Adapting to Flexible Response” (Volume II) Video link click here.